4 Natural Ingredients to Nourish Your Brain
Your brain is the command center of your body; it produces neurotransmitters and sends and receives hundreds of nerve signals every millisecond to ensure everything in your body works as it should.
How do you know when your brain may not be in peak condition? Forgetfulness, brain fog, difficulty concentrating, and low mood are all signs that your cognitive function may not be up to scratch.
What is Cognitive Health and Why is it Important?
Cognitive health refers to the ability to perform all your mental functions well. This includes communicating, thinking, learning new things, recalling information, reacting quickly — and so much more! A healthy brain supports all your conscious and unconscious functions; it helps you understand others and encourages quality of life and independence as you age. Even a slight decline in cognitive function (at any age) affects your health and productivity.
Unfortunately, like any organ, the brain takes a hit from aging. Additionally, it may be negatively impacted by poor dietary choices, a sedentary lifestyle, head injuries, chronic stress, pollution, smoking, and excess alcohol consumption.
While aging is inevitable, cognitive decline doesn't have to be your fate!
Nourish Your Brain with SJ Health Store
Our cognitive formula, SJ Brain Forte, combines the ancient wisdom of Korean herbal medicine with scientific research for an elixir that supports your brain. Here's what it contains and why it's a must-have!
Citicoline is a popular nootropic – a neuroprotective compound that promotes cognitive function. Also known as CDP-choline, it's a precursor to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, a brain chemical that ensures signals travel rapidly from one nerve to the next
(1). Citicoline is useful for the elderly as well as younger people who want to keep up with the mental demands of work and studies. A study published in Food and Nutrition Sciences found that healthy women who supplemented with citicoline had improved mental performance (2).
Goji berries are tart, red berries that have taken the world by storm! These nutrient-dense superfoods became trendy for adding to smoothies in the last decade. However, practitioners of Eastern medicine have known about the immune-supportive and anti-aging benefits of goji berries for more than 2,000 years.
These delicious berries are a good source of vitamin C and antioxidant carotenoids like zeaxanthin – responsible for their vibrant color and anti-aging properties (3). They're also rich in fiber, B vitamins, magnesium, manganese, and selenium. No wonder we added goji berry extract to SJ Brain Forte!
Known as a "living fossil," archeologists believe the ginkgo biloba tree has existed for over 200 million years! Koreans have benefited the brain-boosting benefits of ginkgo biloba for centuries. Now, standardized ginkgo biloba extract, made from the leaves of the tree, has quickly become one of the world's best-selling ingredients in herbal supplements!
This herb is most popular for improving memory, and researchers believe it improves circulation to the body and brain (4, 5). Increased blood flow improves the brain's access to oxygen and nutrients.
If you're finding it hard to focus due to chronic stress, rhodiola rosea root may bring some relief. Rhodiola is an adaptogenic herb that grows in harsh terrain across Asia and is used in traditional medicine to promote mental and physical stress resilience. It's been popular in eastern medicine forever and is now gaining notoriety in the west!
Scientific research shows rhodiola is a source of over 140 active compounds – including rosavin and salidroside – that provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, neuroprotective, and mood boosting properties (6).
Are you struggling with poor concentration, foggy thinking, or trouble with retaining information? SJ Brain Forte from SJ Health Store is a good place to start!
East meets West in this convenient K-Health formula that's been meticulously crafted, providing a blend of all the natural ingredients mentioned in this article. It's manufactured in a gold standard GMP facility, ensuring it's free from contaminants and of the highest quality.
1. Weiss GB. (1995). Metabolism and actions of CDP-choline as an endogenous compound and administered exogenously as citicoline. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7869846/
2. McGlade et al. (2012). Improved attentional performance following citicoline administration in healthy adult women. Available at: https://m.scirp.org/papers/19921
3. Ma et al. (2019). Goji Berries as a potential natural antioxidant medicine: An insight into their molecular mechanisms of action. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/ PMC6343173/
4. Kaschel R. (2011). Specific memory effects of Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 in middle-aged healthy volunteers. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21802920/
5. Mashayekh et al. (2011). Effects of Ginkgo biloba on cerebral blood flow assessed by quantitative MR perfusion imaging: a pilot study. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ articles/PMC3163160/
6. Panossian et al. (2010). Rosenroot (Rhodiola rosea): traditional use, chemical composition, pharmacology and clinical efficacy. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20378318